August 8, 2016

June/July Updates

It's been a bit of a crazy month, mostly due to work, lots of writing, and a wholly self-inflicting abandonment of any kind of work ethic re: this blog whatsoever. I do apologize for my absence here, and for those of you who still read this blog, thank you, sincerely! I appreciate the support!

June had me working on a large company-wide project for work, so that took up more time than I thought. I actually really liked it despite how tedious it was, because it was person-specific, which meant that they hand-picked me along with a few other people to work on this. Made me feel accomplished. Other than that, I marathoned How I Met Your Mother, a show that is juuuust good enough to not be bad; I found it to be nice background noise as I built some Gundams, a new hobby that I've taken to like a fish to water. I'm not very good at the whole model-building thing, but it's something I like to do, and there's a certain unique satisfaction in having a figure that you essentially built from scratch!



Here are a few of the Gundams I've built!

At the end of July, I went to the Santa Fe Writers Conference. I went to the one in Taos a few years back and absolutely loved it, and this time around was no different. I got a bunch of wonderful advice in my novel writing class and character workshop class, and met some great people besides! The strength of all the writers there is just incredible! Got me inspired to begin the second draft of my book, and so I've been working on that for a bit too! It was a great trip, and I just love being amongst writers and creative minds that just pushed me to write more. Totally cool.

I've been reading some great books too! The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore is a great book on the history of William Marston, Wonder Woman's creator, chronicling his attempt at breaking into academia, the invention of the lie detector, his multiple wives and fathering of children, to the creation of Wonder Woman and how she faired within DC Comics. It's a neat look at how 1920-40s feminism factored into the creation of an icon, and how that was integrated into the psyche of a man alive during that time. Lots of neat facts thrown into this book, too! It's a quick read, and if you're a superhero fan and/or history buff, you should definitely read this!

In that same vein, I read a fascinating political studies book on superheroes called War, Politics, and Superheroes: Ethics and Propaganda in Comics and Film by Marc Dipaolo. It's a bit preachy and dismissive of certain comics and franchises, but on the whole, I really liked it! It analyzes certain superheroes and how various writers from differing political spheres have written them with certain agendas in mind, or how superheroes faired in different political and social climates. It's extremely thorough and I liked how it approached its subject matter, by fixating on certain heroes and looking at them first, instead of picking a political viewpoint and then going from there.

Re-read Black Iris because it's awesome but also because I'm doing a re-read of Elliot Wake's books in preparation for his upcoming Bad Boy, due out in November! I'm super stoked for it! I love his writing a lot, as I've said in past, and it's just such a pleasure to re-read his books!

Looking forward to next semester a lot! I'm excited for my classes, and overall just ready to be back in Oregon! I'll have a review of Suicide Squad up here tonight or tomorrow, so that'll be good! How have you all been! Again, I know it's been a while, and I thank you all very much for sticking by me and giving your support and continuing to read this blog! It means a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment