January 8, 2016

Happy New Year, 2016!

Hi, everyone!!

So, on Monday, I successfully completed my first full draft of my first manuscript! I had planned to complete it by next Sunday, actually, so getting it done a few weeks early was good! Considering I've never written a book before, or at least never finished one, this is a major accomplishment for me and I'm super happy that it's done.

Here's my progress chart


And here's a little thing I put on twitter in the wake of my accomplishment, a shoutout to one of my favorite writers and upcoming authors:


She responded to it too 'cause she's cool like that, so that made me smile!

It was definitely a learning process, and it'll continue to be a learning process once I go back and begin the never ending process of revision, which I'm very excited for! My brain is already making changes to the story, cutting sections out, and overall just urging me to get to editing the actual work now, but I've been told time and again (and I know from experience) that it's best to wait at least a few months to let your work cool before you dive into edits.

In the meantime, I've begun finally drafting my talk for Lewis&Clark's Gender Symposium slated for March! I'm very eager to present there and am finding the writing very fun and refreshing; after spending a few months on a single book, y'know, a change in style and medium is such a breath of fresh air! My analysis is focussing on the Windblade comic book and character and contrasting her with the well known and loved Arcee, and it's shaping up to be a fairly good project.

Finally, the biggest news for this week: I got offered (and have now accepted) a job! And it's a writing job!! Granted, it's for a technical company so I'll be doing mostly tech writing and editing, but still! My first job out the gate and it's a writing job and I'm actually super excited about it! Coupled with the fact that this semester's course load is going to be insane, I'm a bit nervous, but I hope I can manage to balance all of this stuff, so we'll see.

I'm going to my local comic con tomorrow, so that should be fun. My friend and I planned to go today and actually got dressed up and drove over there and everything, and only then did we find out that the thing started pretty late in the day today and only tomorrow did it start at a normal hour. Needless to say, my friend was less than pleased with me, having gotten all gussied up today, and yeah, I felt pretty terrible about that, especially since she drove and paid for parking already! Yeah, so looks were given! Anyway, tomorrow will doubtless be better!

That's all for now! I hope your first week of 2016 has gone well, and I'll try to post more regularly here!

No comments:

Post a Comment