December 6, 2015

Symposiums, Finals, and Progress Charts


So, this is my progress as of last night! I'm making good headway, I think, which is good for me 'cause as it turns out, I've been accepted to give a talk at the 35th annual Women's and Gender Studies Symposium at Lewis and Clark College in March! This is an incredible opportunity for me, and I'm very humbled by it, however this does mean that I'll be needing to draft a paper over break as well, do lots of research and reading and all that, something that i hadn't exactly realized was going to be solidified when I started this whole writing a book in five weeks thing. So yeah, needless to say, I'm a bit stressed, but in a good way, like the way you are during a workout... or so I'm told- I've only worked out like back in high school so my memories of that time are filled with pain and tears.

Anyway, I digress.

The point is, this WGS symposium is super cool and I'm so excited for it! My topic will be on the representation of women and gender in the IDW Transformers comics. Because when I think cornerstone of academia and social movements, I know my mind leaps right into the lap of a franchise built on the sweat of male testosterone, dammit!

It's finals week for me starting tomorrow, but thankfully I only have one actual test I need to do; naturally it's next Saturday, which means I get the whole week to study and whatnot. I'm both pleased and annoyed by this, because I'd like to just get this Latin test over with and go home, but on the other hand, it is nice to have the extra time. I also have violin juries on Wednesday, so I'm now prepping for that. My teacher has more confidence in me than I do at this point; she's assigned me the usual: scales, arpeggios, and a solo, but then on our last lesson before jury, she added that I should play a scale of thirds for the panel... which I guess I did alright on in the lesson but I hadn't exactly planned on doing it for a grade, so... y'know, I was a bit caught off guard. So I'll be doing that! Yay.

This semester overall has been very good for me in terms of discipline. I've built upon my admittedly not-too-shabby time management skills, and I've learned so much from my classes! Astronomy in particular, while the weakest class for me in terms of grades, was just amazing in terms of the subject matter, and the professor was really good. At the end of her final lecture, as she was running out of time so had to rush through to finish it off, we gave her a class-wide round of applause and that made me smile real big because y'know, she deserved that, and it was all nice and everything!

I hope you all do well on your own final exams or papers or pull through to the end of your jobs for the year or whatever else you're stressing over during the holiday season! You can do it! I believe in you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment