October 8, 2014

Robots in Disguise Trailer Initial Thoughts


Alright, so as some of you may have been able to tell by the content on this site, I'm a bit of a Transformers Prime fan, so when I heard that they were making a follow-up series, I of course had a reaction, and then I didn't really hear anything about the show for a while. But now we have our very first trailer (besides the sneak preview shown at some convention), and I have to say, this looks pretty good.

Right off the bat, we get things going with Bumblebee speaking to... I guess it's Optimus' ghost. I don't know; I really hope they bring this Optimus back. I know he was a bit bland of a character (granted, most of what I see in him is stuff based solely on conjecture and from like three episodes), but he has the potential to be something consistently complex and interesting. And this Bumblebee, man! I love him! One of the few good things I can say about Predacons Rising is that Will Friedle did a great job as the voice of Bumblebee in that! He really turned that character into so much more of a badass and I think him as the voice of the new Autobot leader in this show will really make this Bumblebee something special.

We also get snippets of other characters. Accompanying 'Bee on Earth is Strongarm, another (I think original) female Transformer like Arcee, which I'm always happy to see! It's also nice that she's not a bike robot; we get a female who is just as muscular as the dudes on the team, and she even transforms into an armored truck, which really sets her apart from female Transformers in past, and I'm all for it! We've also got Sideswipe, who looks kind of interesting. I like his transformation and he's got all them awesome Tron Prime light lines running all over his body!

I'm also intrigued by the inclusion of the beast-bots. We see a pretty cool rendition of Grimlock and a few others and that's kinda neat. I'm thrilled that at least some of these dudes have the beast form as their "robot" form and turn into vehicles! That's just such a compromise that I'm actually surprised that it took this long to figure it out. It's a neat concept and I'm glad that it's there (though if they turn out to have actual robot forms and be triple-changers, that'll be even more awesome). It seems that much of the plot will revolve around an episodic manhunt for a bunch of loose Decepticons, which I'm alright with. That's at least better than Prime's relic hunt thing they had going on back in Season Two.

And that leads into a pretty good climax for this thing with just awesome action shots (plus a good cast screencap I can use for the header image to this post!) and, for me, lovely transformations (even if they do have the stupid "motion lines" thing that's so prevalent in 2D animation)! They even retain the Prime transformation sound effects, which I'm super happy about because that really cements this as being in the same continuity! So yeah, I'm pretty excited about this. The animation looks pretty good; I am in love with the Prime animation and still think it's some of the best animation put to television on a TV budget, but this hybrid of Prime and Animated does seem to be working for me at the moment. It's also nice to see Transformers return to 2D animation, because as much as I loved Prime's animation style, 2D is where the franchise started off and I think returning to that after three years of CGI stuff is a good breath of fresh air.

So that's my look at the trailer (I guess it kinda went all over the place)! I'm looking forward to this new series. You can watch the full trailer here!

No comments:

Post a Comment