July 30, 2014

Stuff That I Like- 7/30/14

I really hope I get to do another one of these before I begin college, but if not, I'll definitely be doing one or two while at college, because that's an experience in and of itself! Anyway, there are two fantastic pieces of internet buzz I came across, both of which relate to storytelling and one of which relates to the god-awful "strong female character" label!

The first is a TED Talk by one Andrew Stanton (Wall-E, Finding Nemo, Toy Story), and in it he talks about the ingredients for a good story. All of what he says is what I've believed in since I first started recognizing my tastes in stories and in fiction, and I think he does a marvelous job of summing this up. He focusses on theme, character, and making the audience engage their brains and care about what's going on in the story. And that's exactly what I look for in stories as well: a strong theme, an engaging and relatable character, and above all, I hope the story is engaging and draws me in not just in terms of interest and entertainment, but also in terms of intellectual stimulation. Check out the video below:



The second bit of news I came across was on denofgeek.com, and they did an interview with Zoe Saldana on her work in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie and Star Trek, and in there they ask her very plainly what she thinks of the "strong female character" label, and I for one think that her answer hits the nail on the head!

"It bothers me that I'm always told that I do strong female characters. When in reality, I look at my characters and I feel like they were all broken. They all came from a very devastating past. They were trying to achieve something, they had hope, and they wanted to get someplace, like everything other character that has a meaningful and relevant arc in the story.

"It's because we don't really know women. We don't write women accurately. We don't see women the way that we should see women as a society, as a human race. When you see a real woman, you shouldn't be saying she's strong, you should be saying she's real."

The full article can be found here.

So, those were two things that really got me thinking and made me pretty happy about the world and I just wanted to share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment