May 17, 2014

Stuff That I Like- 5/17/14

Alright, so I haven't done one of these in a good while now, and given that my "Darkmount" review is going very slowly, I figured I'd give you guys something to read to pass the time. I'll be talking about Lindsey's new video as well as the new Age of Extinction trailer which I know I said I'd do a post about, but really what I have to say fits right in with this format because I don't review trailers, and my thoughts on this are brief enough that they can fit into this post altogether.


So, this came as a bit of a nice surprise for me. I'm usually up on my Lindsey activity and news, but this completely passed my radar and showed up out of the blue for me. There's a lot going on in this just in terms of the music; I mean holy cow, this is a great instrumental/orchestral version of her "Shatter Me" song! And I love the way that she changed the background stuff in the music too: having that springing sound carry from the beginning and then evolve into the drum line is awesome, and how she plays around with the main violin's line in relation to the second violin's is really cool! I like this one more than the regular one; nothing against Lzzy Hale (I obviously still love that song), but I've always liked the orchestral remixes of Lindsey's stuff more than the originals (except for "Crystallize"), and this one is something super special. And that's just with the music; I haven't even touched on the video portion of this music video! The costumes in here are good, though having never played the Child of Light game, I cannot comment as to how accurate they are or their meaning in relation to the song. I do like the backgrounds though: the predominantly warm atmosphere gives this instrumental version of "Shatter Me" a different feel than the original, and the warmth of the violin as an instrument really augments that feeling too. Very cool, and I really want this to be released on iTunes or Spotify or something so that I can listen to it all the time!


So, then we have this new Age of Extinction trailer. Right off the bat, I'd like to say that trailers... I hate trailers. Or rather, I hate to love trailers. Because what a trailer is isn't supposed to tell you what the movie is supposed to be about; it's supposed to get you interested in the movie, and trailers can go about this in very dubious ways. A trailer can lie to you. The trailers for the past three Transformers films have all lied to us. The Revenge of the Fallen teaser trailer looked really awesome, having a darker tone than the first one. Then the movie turned out to be one of the worst films ever made, so there's that. I did a "review" of Dark of the Moon in the way back (I think it was like my eighth or ninth review). Anyway, I had just started to dip my feet into the Transformers franchise as a thing to review, and I remember giving the film a lot of credit for being better than the second one, and I think I rated it as like a 7 or an 8 out of 10. Well, I don't want to give you the impression that this film is good; it's obviously not, but in relation to the rest of the franchise and in relation to the first film (which in my head I have ranked as a 10/10, because it's the best of the three), this one was "good" in the same sense McDonalds is better than Taco Bell to me. Both are shit, but one is better than the other.

So, when going into this trailer, going into this movie, I know exactly what's going to happen in the film: bad humans are chasing all Transformers, bad Transformers are fighting the good Transformers, and good humans will save the day. It's the same plot as the last two films. Now, as a trailer, this one I actually think shows a lot of promise in terms of the writing. The film won't be written well, I can tell you that right now, but in terms of showing us potential, this trailer shows us a lot of potential, none of which will manifest in the film, but I'm glad that it's there in the trailer at least.

There's one piece of dialogue between Optimus and Mark Wahlberg's character that sticks out to me as having the deepest meaning, and that is when Optimus asks how many more of his kind must be sacrificed in service of protecting Earth, and Wahlberg responds: "You gotta have faith, Prime. Maybe not in who we are, but in who we can be." Cliché? Absolutely, but it grounds at least this scene in a more thematic setting. But who am I kidding, this scene will probably end with a cheap laugh or a stupid action sequence, and the potential will be completely forgotten. The action looks awesome of course, and the robots this time around look cleaner. They're less junkyard scrapheaps and more actual cohesive robots. I'm loving the new look for Optimus, and that ending to the trailer is beautiful with him leaping off of Grimlock and spinning around with that awesome sword and shield! Yeah, that's badass!

Is the movie going to be good? No; that should go without saying. But for God's sake, it seems like they're at least trying with this one! Anyway, those are my thoughts on this new trailer. New review of a show far superior to the Transformers films will be coming sometime in the next week, so look forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment