April 28, 2014

Day 338

And so, the last week of classes begins! And it began pretty well today too. Had STAM first, but it was okay because we had a project work day, so it wasn't too eventful. I'm also happy about this because I'm pretty much done with my project at this point! I've gotten in the one- and two-variable statistics, and now I'm just waiting to hear back from the teacher about whether or not I did them correctly or not (though I'm sure I did). After this was a session of colloquium presentations, both of which were pretty good. One of them was about fraternal twins and an exploration of both the scientific as well as the sociological and personal nuances and qualities found in fraternal twins. It was pretty interesting, as the speaker herself is a fraternal twin, so this related a lot to her and her life, and the way she incorporated that was nicely done.

The second presentation was very powerful. It was arguing for the legalization of physician-assisted suicide, and the lens through which this argument was made was very depressing but also drove it home, as the speaker talked about her dad who had died in 2009 after contracting a fatal disease three years prior, and how by the end he was in so much pain that his family wanted to just put him out of his misery. The presentation focussed on that and on the benefits of the treatment, as well as the obvious ethical debates surrounding it. Very powerful and super depressing. Not a happy way to go into lunch, but still a great presentation all around.

Advanced English was another period of work-related activity. I've now completed my portfolio for the most part. I just have to print everything out and put everything together in a binder to turn in. Strings was really fun today because it was a party! I made cookies, and a friend also made cookies, and other people brought two-dozen donuts and a bag of chips and salsa! It was a really great way to end the day, and we listened to music (even a little bit of Lindsey Stirling, which made me happy) and did some dancing. I don't like dancing, but I did participate if reluctantly.

Track was very windy, so we only did a half-hour practice. We have districts on Friday and I'm trying to see if I can get out of going because it's my last day. Though I suppose if other seniors are going, I should probably go too. Moral conflict here, ladies and gentlemen! Anyway, I came home and finished up my Advanced English portfolio and I'm now ready for bed. Goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment