February 1, 2014

Day 252

So, I don't know how many of you read yesterday's post, but I mentioned that I did not like AYS, and while that is true, I said some stuff in there that was insulting to the organization and to the people in it, including myself, and while I love to wisecrack and be sarcastic, there is definitely a clear line between being mean but funny and being just rude and immaturely brazen with one's comments and opinions. So, I'm sorry I said those things; I've since edited them out, and have changed the ending to the post, and hopefully, I can be little bit more aware of what I'm saying in relation to what I'm trying to convey. Words are powerful after all.

So, with that out of the way, it seems only fitting that today begin with AYS! We had a full three-hour rehearsal beginning at 9:00 AM... on a Saturday! Yeah, I don't know about the rest of you, but I like to not have to get up before 9:00, so getting up at 7:30 in order to be there by 8:30 (because that was our call time for setting up, unpacking, getting settled, warmed up, etc) is just really unappealing to me. So, I get there, and for the first hour or so, I'm pretty pissed. We rehearse a lot of sticky spots that are not in great shape, and so it's like the definition of tedium. However, as the rehearsal drags on, I finally wake up and get more into it, and by the end when we're running through the program, I'm like "hell yeah! We are so good!" So yeah, it was actually a pretty positive experience!

After this, my Mom and I got some lunch and went home. I got some homework done (not nearly enough though) and watched some Buffy episodes just for kicks. Then, it was back out for more AYS playing, this time at the mall because nothing says symphonic orchestra like a place that is as close to hell as possible without being Disneyland! Yeah, I hate the mall, but man, did we sound really kick-ass! We played Huapango and, in order to get the chorus in, Oh Come All Ye Faithful... I have no idea why we chose that song of all songs to play, but oh well. Huapango sounded really awesome and invigorating! The crowd went wild after this, and I wish we had ended with it, because it ended with such a bang, and the crowd was all into it. The choir was good for the second one, but because it was the mall, everything was very echoey, so it was hard to hear them over us. Oh well.

So, that was a fun ordeal despite my initial dread. I am glad that this is the final time I'm doing this since I'm a Senior, but the experience itself was not bad. We had an awesome dinner at this italian restaurant and for dessert, we had bread pudding! Yum! Well, better call it a night and get some sleep. Lots of homework tomorrow and a concert, and yes then the Superbowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment