January 14, 2014

Day 234

It feels like Friday. I don't know what it is about this week, but I can already tell it's going to be a long one. This Tuesday was pretty cool. In STAM, we did a really fun project with popcorn, and we got to eat it afterwards too! Yum! I'm trying out a new tactic this semester after finding out that my midterm grade for this class was... well, kinda shit, and that tactic is um, actually putting in some effort. So, yeah, this class really isn't my favorite, but it's by no means bad, and if I try, I know I'll do well because as has been proven, I can churn out a nine page paper like nothing if I'm under the right amount of stress... hell, I can do that anyway, but the point is that I'm going to be making a concerted effort to do well in this class this time around and hopefully bring that grade back up.

In Post, we learned about Presidents Carter and Ford (not in that order... obviously), and also listened to some disco music of the '70s! Yeesh! Y'know, I figured our teacher's job was to educate us, not subject us to physical pain! Anyway, the class was quite good; I especially liked learning about the Presidents and the mindset of the '70s. I also read the second chapter of Leopold's Ghost for tomorrow's History class. I'm loving this book! The cartoonish circumstances and wild personalities of all the historical figures involved in here just amaze me because I'm so baffled that anything like this with the people that this involved actually happened! Very interesting to learn about this stuff!

Strings was super fun today, because we got new music! It's this really crazy insane four-movement modern piece, but unlike most modern and post-modern bullshit neo-classical music, this has hints of Mozart that compliment the tone, and I love the chromatic side-stepping used in this thing. I can't remember the name of the piece nor the composer... I guess I should probably learn that so that I can post a link to it in the Music tab up top there!

Speaking of composers, I analyzed more of the Bach violin concerto with my composition tutor tonight at my composition lesson. Really interesting stuff here, though I was kind of out of it tonight because I had just gotten a sound verbal beating from my Mom about my STAM grade not being that great and it naturally left me in a bit of a shock (my Mom is really scary when she gets mad, by the way). So, yeah, I didn't really get everything that was going on (with Bach, not with what my Mom was talking about). Anyway, the lesson was fun, and I'm liking the analysis a lot.

Pretty tired now. Might write in my journal a bit before calling it a day. Goodnight, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment