January 13, 2014

Day 233

I am now at 300 posts! That's pretty cool, I think! I had a pretty nice day today; only two classes which gave me ample time to work on my thesis, which I think is shaping up nicely... I wouldn't say that it's perfect yet. The outline for this thing in my view is just all over the place. I'm referencing stuff and talking about stuff in great detail in order to contrast that with Buffy's character, and it's getting to the point where I'm losing focus on what I'm trying to say. At least, that's how I see it. My reader love it, and he think that the paper itself will transition into all of these points very well. Maybe so, but I'm wondering how well my argument will be able to float above all this other stuff in the paper.

In History, we started reading King Leopold's Ghost, which man oh man, is it great so far! I'm loving the history and the way that this is being presented, I'm loving how ridiculously over the top Stanley was... I mean, holy hell, that guy is suck a dick! I'm sorry, but that guy is about as nefarious as Megatron... but he was fucking real, and he was alive and he did all this stuff to make himself look better. I mean, this guy is just a fucked up individual. I'd call him laughably evil, except this is a real person, and what he did in Africa and what he did to give himself all this attention and good press and whatnot is just straight out of a Bond film. Yeah, this Stanley guy is fucking messed up. However, the book is very... I don't want to say enjoyable, but it is very engrossing to read. It really puts you in the period, it gives you a shit ton of interesting facts and history about a whole bunch of really fascinating stuff, and I'm only on the first chapter, and I can't wait to read more!

English was interesting. We did a very broad crash course overview of philosophy. Like, all of it! One of the things that impressed me most about this overview was that the teacher defined the big philosophical branches but was very careful about how she used her language in doing so. Oftentimes, I'll see a definition of philosophy that uses a trait that is so much more prominent in another philosophy and then the definition doesn't clear up the one philosophy from the other... and it all gets very confusing. Here, the teacher made sure to clarify each one, using different words and ideas for the ones we covered. Not at all easy to do, and I'm very impressed that she did that. We also talked more about The Plague. I'm really still loving this. It's so human!

AYS was okay. Not much to say about it here tonight. It's getting awfully apparent to me that we as an orchestra are not getting anywhere. It's not because we're not trying or that we can't count. That's part of it, but the conductor is so bent on placing the blame entirely on us that he doesn't seem to realize that about 90% of what he tells us to do amounts to nothing. Seriously, the advice he gives is so broad and vague that he could say anything and we could all just take it and turn it into something ourselves because he's not teaching us. He's patting us on the head and telling us what our lazy brains want to hear instead of making us actually think and work harder to get the stuff we screw up right.

So, that was my day today. I think this week is going to be very fun. There are a lot of things going on now that school is back in session, and I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment