January 11, 2014

Day 231

I didn't do much today really except see Frozen for the second time. I think I'll be talking about that today more so than my daily activities, because I have a lot to say about my reactions to seeing the film for a second time. Maybe I should put this as a second Mini-View, or maybe a follow-up thing to the Frozen Mini-View, but whatever. I will definitely be addressing my reactions both times in the full review (which'll probably come out in a few years, given how brain-dead my work ethic is... sorry).

So, I loved Frozen the first time I saw it. I still like it, but as with any second viewing of most any film, you notice things a second time around that you hadn't upon the premier, and man oh man, did I notice stuff this time! I've actually never had this type of reaction to a film before. With Frozen, I loved it when I saw it the first time, and I only enjoyed it tonight. When I got out of the theater tonight, I began thinking about how problematic the film was. Now, I'm not going to give you a breakdown of everything going on in the film, such as themes, characters, plot, etc. (again, saving that for a review), but the structure of the movie is what caught my attention the first time around, and it's the thing that does not stand up to multiple viewings. With this time, I noticed how flawed it actually was. That's not to say it was bad, but I think with just a little bit of rearrangement to a few characters and scenes, especially in the middle, I think this could have been far better.

Hans as the villain still bothers me, but while watching Frozen for a second time, I caught on to how weird Kristof's motivations were and how they could have fixed the character, or maybe rewritten the story to better fit his circumstances. Anna and Elsa's relationship is still one of the more enjoyable parts of the film for me, but again, with a second viewing, I just wanted to see more of their friendship and love for each other develop over the course of the movie. So, yeah, I notice a few problems with the film this time around, but I still do like it, and in terms of Disney breaking out of the routine, this succeeded in doing that. I just wish the road to get there had been paved a little bit smoother.

Not sure what else to write about. I'm thinking about maybe using this as a launching pad for a rough draft of the review... I don't know. Looking forward to tomorrow and the birthday celebration! It looks to be a ton of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment