January 28, 2014

Day 248

Today was a pretty relaxing Tuesday. Only had English and History today, so that was really nice. Modern History was spent looking at the history of South Africa in the 1890s to the 1920s. Really interesting stuff here, but also very sad and tragic. We also took a quiz on Leopold's Ghost, which I'm pretty sure everyone failed, because there was a general outcry that this was so specific and awful! I only got one question right on the whole thing, which sucks, because I read it, and the teacher knows I've been reading it, and everyone knows that everyone's been reading it... so I don't get the point of this quiz. Well, my teacher seemed to agree, because he said that he'd not give a quiz this specific on the bookk again. Thank God!

English was much better in terms of tests, in that we didn't have any! We analyzed The Plague and some of the themes, particularly happiness and how even in grief, people can still find happiness because that's what keeps us going. We also talked about Camus' interpretation of Sisyphus, which I found very interesting. Basically, he's saying that Sisyphus is better than the Gods that sentenced him to this damnable existence because he has free thinking and such, and Camus looked at an implied portion of the rolling the stone up the hill story, that of  Sisyphus having to go back down again to complete the task over again. It was just a really cool read and the way we analyzed it was interesting too.

Worked more on my Advanced English story after this class. I'm still in the middle of my fight scene, and i don't really know where to go from there. It's turned into this kinda sprawling thing... I don't know. I feel it needs tightening. Also printed out my outline and introduction to my thesis and handed that in because that was due today. And then I read the next section in Leopold's Ghost. It's getting optimistic, because we have people in the book who are actually likable! Also printed out a string quartet to take to composition tutoring tonight.

Speaking of comp tutoring, tonight we analyzed a little bit of my string quartet and how I weaved around and sidestepped chord progressions altogether because I'm lazy. And we talked about some piano technique stuff. Usual tutoring session really, but it was still enjoyable. I also had a good laugh over the simplicity of the piano class which I'm continuing to take tomorrow. Right now it's very simple, but I'm sure it'll get complicated very quickly!

Came home, had some pizza, listened to the Frozen soundtrack, because I love it so, and am now heading off to bed. Goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment