November 28, 2013

Day 187

Happy Black Thursday... Oh, I'm sorry. Happy Thanksgiving! There we go! Sorry, with all the stores open today, y'know, it kinda gets a little confusing. I love the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and I woke up in time to see the last little bit of it. It's always a great way to start the morning.

I finished writing my second violin concerto! I can't believe I've written my first playable concerto, full three movements, all of which were written in Sibelius. This is the first time I've done something fully in the program, and I'm pretty proud of it. It's something that I always find fascinating, when someone creates a piece of art, be it music, literature, film, television, video games, whatever; the creative process behind that is always interesting to me, and the meaning of what the creator was trying to say with their art is so interesting to me. So, I began thinking about what I've wanted to try and say with this concerto. I imitated Mozartian style mixed with a drizzle of neo-classical elements, and the creative process behind creating this thing is something of interest to me. I might do an in-depth post about it, I don't know.

So, then I went to Aaron's house for Thanksgiving dinner, and man, that was a treat. In tenth grade, I was kinda down in the dumps emotionally for a little bit there, so my friend created my ever-growing Things That Make Me Smile list, which has since evolved into the People and Things That Make Me Smile list, because there are people on that list too... not in a stalker-ish sort of way, just listing of people who make me smile. Anyway, this Thanksgiving is definitely going on that list. This is something that was super fun, because it was the first Thanksgiving in a long time that I had not spent with family, and I got to thinking about the other people in my life outside my immediate family, and how many friends I have around me. I've never really considered myself to be popular. I definitely have presence at my school (and apparently the lower classmen have built an idea or two around me), but I've not really given much thought to me being the guy everyone flocks to at the beginning of the day. I'm usually the guy at parties who stands in the corner pretending to admire a potted plant. But then I got to thinking about how many people I have around me who do care and love and respect me, and how many people I love and respect and care about. I think we tend to lose sight of that in our day-to-day lives, and it was nice for the night to reflect that yeah, I do have people I can talk to and hang out with and be myself around. It was just nice to think about that.

I ate a ton of food, and the pies that we brought over were excellent. I'm a big fan of stuffing, so I had a good portion of that, and I love yams, so I had far too many yams for my stomach. It was a great feast. Came home and now I'm really tired. I'm probably going to bed pretty soon. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. And don't do Black Friday... it's one of the seven hells reincarnated on Earth, just don't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment