November 10, 2013

Day 169

Had a very restful Sunday. I have a lot of things to do over the course of this week, and I started in on my multiple projects full throttle by reading the English article due tomorrow. It was a fascinating read. It was clear-cut and easy to understand (despite my teacher's warnings to the contrary), but what it was talking about was an interesting and overlooked concept: that of European teachings dominating schools along with the mindset that the rest of the world is somehow subservient to this form of teaching, that authors from India, China, or Korea or other such places are somehow "not as good as" European writers. The article discussed how our viewpoints change, how they ought to change regarding education in the Western world, and how we view others as a single culture. Really interesting stuff! Of course, after reading that, I fell back to sleep (I had gotten up a 7:00) and didn't wake up again until 10:00. Yeah.

So, when I got up again, I started drafting my Tempest paper. It's not finished yet; I intend to do more with it tomorrow and Tuesday, but I'm glad I can get my thoughts down on paper. Oh, and I'm taking the full plunge and doing my first big paper in Google Drive. Ooh! Crazy stuff! I am in fact relating Prospero and Ariel to Tony Stark of Iron Man 3, and yes, it's pretty awesome. I do still intend to use our supplementary English readings that our teacher gave us, because those readings are good too, but I like this idea of relating Shakespeare to modern media and pop culture, and I hope this paper turns out alright! While doing this, I also found out about a third-party Transformers figure: ToyWorld's TW-02 Orion, their take on the IDW Transformers Optimus Prime design from the Ongoing series. This is by far my favorite Optimus Prime design based around G1 (Prime Season One and Two Prime is still my absolute favorite body design), and I want a physical representation of it so bad! There are preorders up for a second shipment, but the thing costs a hundred bucks! That's insane, and I don't know if I'll cave and get it (probably will).

Had a long long violin lesson today! My teacher's been giving me pretty long lessons lately (about half an hour over our usual one-hour schedule), and I very much appreciate it, though I don't know if she knows that's what's happening, because she doesn't charge me more than the normal fare, even though we go over almost every time now. So, I broke the news to her that I'm playing my concerto in December rather than April, and she was naturally shocked for about five seconds. Then she told me to haul it out so we could work on it for a little bit. I love that people who far more experienced than me are able to do things with my music that I had never thought of. My teacher made me do all these lovely things to the piece that made it sing far more than I would have expected it to. I think this just goes to show that I'm kind of a novice at this sort of thing; what I'm doing is intuitive, not based around conscious logic of musical form or whatever. So I love that when I bring my work over to people who actually know what they're doing, they're able to make my work far more palpable than anything that I'd ever be able to do with it. I just think it's cool! We also worked on the Bach 2nd movement of the A Minor for next Sunday's concert. I have a lot of work to do on that too, because my rhythm is kinda messed up and all over the place, and my fingers trip over each other. I'm going to be drilling this thing a lot over the next week!

Came home and worked some more on that English essay, wrote out some thoughts on Prime- just general stuff; I'll be posting this soon... ish (hopefully). It's basically an overview of why I loved the show as much as I did. This'll probably go up after my Season Three Overview, or after my formal review of "Deadlock". Anyway, that was fun. Flying Star was really busy tonight, and it was loud and raucous! Lots of movement and noise and ugh. Not the most relaxing evening ever, but my Caesar salad was still yummy! And I had bread pudding for dessert! Yay. I have a lot of work to do tomorrow, so I guess I should head to bed. Goodnight, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment