May 25, 2013

V's Speech From "V For Vendetta" In Latin!

Why did I decide to translate V's famous aliteration-filled speech into Latin? Because I wanted to. No one put me up to this, no one requested me to do this, I just wanted to do it myself. Some of the aliteration is gone in the translation, just because words like "vaudevillian" and "bygone" do not exist in classical Latin. And yes, I am just using classical Latin words and format, because that's the Latin I learned. That's why direct cognates for certain words won't do in my translation, because some of them are from medieval Latin. Anyway, here it is. Hope you enjoy!
English version:
Voilá! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant  vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a virtue not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.
Latin translation:
Ecce! In conspectu, mimus veteranus humilis, in loco inductus et victimae et scelerati vicissitudinibus fati. Hic vultus, non modo tegumen vanitatis, vestigium est vocis populi, nunc vacantis, dilapsae. Hoc autem simulacrum forte vexationis praeteriti animatum stat, et vincere vovit has venales virulantasque pestes antecurrentes vitium et parantes violationem voluntatis violente vitiosam varacemque! Iudicium solum est vindicta; vindicatio habita quasi virtus, non in varum nam huius aestimatio veritasque dim vigilentes probosque vindicabunt. Certe, hoc vippicense verborum vertit maxime verbose, itaque permitte me mere addere meum esse optimum honorem te occurrere et tibi licet me nominare U.
So, there you go! Hope I didn't make any mistakes!

2 comments:

  1. Great post.There is a lot to be said for community translations, especially in areas where companies do not deem it necessary to localize for other markets (such as fansubs of Japanese anime etc.) or there simply isn't a company behind a product (open source software anyone?). But if you are running a business and trying to make the most out of the opportunities presnted by globalization, using professional translation services is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... I think! I just did this for fun, as an exercising of my Latin translation skills, but thanks for your input! Oh, and sorry I'm so late getting back to you. Yours is the first comment that I've had on the blog, so it took me a little while to realize that I had to respond to it! Thanks for the support.

      Delete