December 29, 2011

Top 10 Movies of 2011


Okay, so I’ve compiled together a list of my favorite movies of 2011. Now keep in mind that I didn’t see all the movies this year, so you’ll forgive me for not putting films that you yourself think should be on here. But anyway, let’s waste no more time. Here’s my top 10 favorite movies of 2011, starting with number 10.


10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II- If there’s one movie out there that people will remember, its this one. Why is it not number one? Because there were movies that were obviously better than it. Nevertheless, Harry Potter 8 ranks up there as just a great time, and it has great themes, too.

9. Kung Fu Panda II- What a way to make a sequel. If there’s one thing that this movie does right, its that it is what a sequel should be, but often isn’t. This film built on everything in the last one, added elements that were themselves fun and interesting, and the characters stayed true to the first film.

8. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol- Okay, so I have no idea why this was released in December, but screw it, it’s awesome. Action in here is really cool, and while I didn’t see it in IMAX, those who I’ve talked to who have said it was really cool. Aside from that, the characters were really cool, I liked seeing the development between Tom Cruise’s character and Jeremy Renner’s, and the heists were pretty cool too. It’s like a really high-end version of Leverage, and that’s awesome right there.

7. Captain America: The First Avenger- Oh, yes, all three Marvel movies are on this list, and while Captain America is the weakest, he’s still a BAMF pimp! That montage in the film when he’s just taking out the Red Skull’s bases is really cool. I love the shield and the sound that it made when it hit people; when you here that ping, you’re just like ‘dude, I’m so there!’ Acting was great; Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull was as menacing as always, and Chris Evens was surprisingly good as Captain America. When they first announced that he was to be Steve Rogers, I was like ‘dude, you were the Human Troch. How the hell are you gonna pull this off?’ But he did, so props to you, man!

6. Moneyball- Yeah, Oscar contender, just sayin’. Even so, this film was really good. I’m not a big fan of baseball films, but this one took the baseball side of things and integrated it with a great character study. I liked Brad Pitt’s acting, he’s still got it, and he really throws himself into the role of Billy Beane. It stays true to its source material, it’s got great acting and a really touching story.

5. Rango- While this wasn’t animated by Pixar, it was certainly a hell of a lot better than what they put out this year. Yes, this is Rango, the story of a chameleon having to play the part of sheriff for a town that has a big drought. What I liked about this movie was that it wasn’t just that, it had other stuff going on too. Rango’s character is always changing because he’s an actor, so he can really be anybody he wants to be, and I liked that. I liked seeing what personas he could take on and get away with. The animation in this is great too. Very nitty-gritty, not like Pixar’s smooth style. This had gruffness, edginess and looked like a distorted version of real animals and sets. Really good at everything that it did, and I’m quite glad I got a chance to see it in theaters.

4. Thor- God of Thunder!!! I love this film. This has a different tone to it than any of the other Marvel Avengers set-up movies. It feels light-hearted and part of that is all of the gorgeous color that they put into the film. Its just saturated with beautiful reds and gold and yellows, lots of warm colors. Acting is splendid. Chris Hemsworth as Thor really works, and the direction taken by Kenneth Branagh is fantastic. It’s just a really fun, up-beat film, and a great addition to the line-up of Avengers films.

3. X-Men First Class- My top three choices may sit funny to some of you, but that’s okay, because this is my top 10 list and not yours. Post a comment listing your top 10 movies of 2011; I’d love to hear it. Anyway, rounding out the top three is X-Men: First Class, a film that I think deserves more recognition. Its definitely smaller in terms of scope than any of the Avengers films, but I felt that way about all the X-Men movies, so this wasn’t a big surprise for me. I loved the acting, particularly James McAvoy’s performance as Xavier. If they make a sequel, I’d go just to see him, he was really enjoyable to see and I like the direction he took the character. Michael Fassbender was also really good as Erik Lensherr and I liked all of the other people’s performances as well. It’s a good time, a perfect matinee movie; if you have nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon, pop this one on and give it a go.

2. Rise of the Planet of the Apes- A movie that I had very little hope for, Rise of the Planet of the Apes really surprised me in almost every way. Everyone’s performance was spot on, and my favorite character this summer, I’m not even kidding, was the CGI ape, Caesar. He’s just got this attitude about him that I just love. The movie’s great; great acting, directing, action- the action is phenomenal; it doesn’t happen very often, but when it gets going, it is really cool to see- all of it is spectacularly done.

1. 50/50- And number one, standing above all the action and drama and super heroism, is 50/50, a comedy with a really serious topic to tackle. What’s great about this film is that everyone can relate to it; it’s got heart, laughs, characters that we immediately fall in love with, and it’s got a subject that we all know about and care deeply about (I couldn’t figure out a good way to phrase that, sorry). If this film doesn’t get an Oscar nomination, it’s just never happening.

So that’s my top 10 favorite movies of 2011. Comment bellow and tell me your top ten, I’m eager to hear what other people had to say, and I’m curious to know which movies I left off the list that people will slander me for. 2012 should be really good; we’ve got The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spiderman, The Avengers, superhero galore and I’m so excited for it! Once these movies come out, that’s it. The Internet will explode with geekdom everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment